Saturday, April 14, 2012

Today for Me, Tomorrow For You?

You may (or may not) recognize that line from one of the best Broadway productions of all time.

For me, it sort of sums up what God has been teaching me more intensely the last couple of months.
I feel like, before I loved God - I was completely absorbed in planning my life out in order to capitalize on what would make life most enjoyable, beneficial and lucrative for me. I based my studies on this, did my job search based on this, made my friends based on this, and dated based on this - this concept of self-fulfillment. Oh, that job might be fulfilling but doesn't pay? No, thanks. That course of study doesn't fit into my 15 year plan? X. That man isn't good on paper? Definitely not marriage material.

The more that God saturates my life..........the more that I learn that it's really just not about me at all.
Now this may seem really dramatic and I should state for the record that these are lessons that I have been learning over and over - for years. I just feel like God has been really teaching me lately that I really do not have the license to make plans at all because it all belongs to Him.

This concept really simplifies my life on one hand - all that I am responsible for is being obedient and living in the moment. On the other hand it really freaks me out. There is no more tangible paradigm by which to define myself. No longer am I allowed to sink my identity into my career....my education........my friends.........just Him.

It's a great place to be.

So no more "Today for me.........maybe tomorrow for You." Today for You. Tomorrow for You. And everything for You.


No comments:

Post a Comment